Sunday, June 24, 2012

‘We’re Not Coming Home This Time Without a Gold Medal’

Matt Scott (9) will play wheelchair basketball in his third Paralympic Games in August.


New York Times
By VINCENT M. MALLOZZI



Matt Scott, who played wheelchair basketball for the United States in the 2004 and 2008 Paralympic Games, is preparing for the 2012 Games in London. He also plays professionally in Turkey with Galatasaray.

Scott, 27, who was born with spina bifida, won three national titles with the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater wheelchair team, and was a member of the gold medal-winning United States team at the 2007 Parapan American Games in Rio de Janeiro. Now 27, he is on the roster of brand ambassadors for Ralph Lauren, the official outfitter of the United States Olympic and Paralympic teams.

Q.
How long have you been playing wheelchair basketball?

A.
I started playing as a 14-year-old growing up in Detroit. I’ve always loved basketball and just kind of jumped into it with my able-bodied friends, who never really took it easy on me out there on the court. I think that helped me excel when it came to playing wheelchair basketball.

Q.
What are your goals at the Paralympics in London?

A.
Take the “s” off of goals because I only have one goal, and that is to bring back a gold medal. Our team did not medal in the last two Paralympics, and we’re not coming home this time without a gold medal.


Q.
You were featured in a Nike advertising campaign, which made you a bit of a celebrity. How did that come about?

A.
It just kind of fell in my lap. Nike was looking to kick off their No Excuses campaign, and I guess they turned to me because I’m the kind of guy who doesn’t make excuses just because I can’t walk or run. I had to audition for the part, and they liked my personality. When people see what I can do, I sort of have that Mr. Ed effect on them. Instead of “Oh, my gosh, this horse can really talk,” it’s ”Oh, my gosh, this guy can really play.”

Q.
You were nominated for a 2008 ESPY Award for Best Male Athlete With a Disability. What did that mean to you?

A.
The nomination meant everything because it’s a very prestigious award. Just attending the ESPY Awards and meeting athletes like Jerry Rice, who I idolized for years, that was a victory right there.

Q.
How were you recruited to play in Turkey?

A.
I have been playing for the U.S. national team for years, and I guess I was noticed during competitions against a lot of other national teams. In fact, European teams have been talking to me since I was 18. I decided to go to Turkey in 2008, and it was the right decision because the team has won five straight Turkish Cups, and I have been on the last four of those championship teams.

Q.
How does it feel to be paid to play a game you love?

A.
I wouldn’t say that getting paid is the highlight. It’s the recognition of being a professional athlete. I’m proud that I do this for a living and that I’m playing the game at the highest possible level.

Q.
What do you want to do when your basketball career is over?

A.
I imagine that I will duck into society and be some sort of contributing member, but I would like to continue working in some capacity in wheelchair basketball. I would like to help the sport grow. It’s a real gem, and if given the proper exposure, people would appreciate it more.

Q.
Who is your favorite basketball player?

A.
You probably think I’m going to say Kobe or LeBron, but I’m a big Chauncey Billups fan. I think the guy is super classy and a great leader who plays the game at a high level. He gets the best out of his teammates, and that’s what I try and do when I’m out on the floor.

No comments:

Post a Comment